Good afternoon and happy Tuesday! =D Month 12 was such an amazing month; we have been blessed with such a happy, healthy, curious, funny and outgoing little boy =D I am so grateful <3 I just love love love love Paul’s personality. He is SO happy all the time, and he has such an incredible sense of humor. My favorite thing that he does is he LOVES to give kisses. One of our games is for him to give me a kiss, and then I chase him around saying “I want a kiss” and then I disappear, and when he comes to fine me I pop out and he falls down because he is laughing so hard =D
He thinks it is hilarious when:
- We sniff his body or other peoples bodies and say “Pee You!” (or some variation of that).
- When we so “yucky!”(or some variation of that) when he sticks his fingers in our mouth.
- When he eats something inedible and we say “eww gross!” (or some variation of that).
- When he tickles mamas feet and play’s the game I’m gonna get you and chases me around the apartment trying to tickle me.
- When we tickle him.
- When we play peek a boo (he initiates the game and will hide until we say “where’s Paul” and he will pop out and smile and laugh). He will hide behind window curtains or doors and pop out and laugh when we say “where’s Paul.
- When he feeds us food and we say “yum” (or some variation of that).
- When we chase each other around the apartment.
- When he points to our eyes and accidentally pokes us and we make a funny face and say “ouch”(or some variation of that).
- When we make funny impressions while reading stories.
- Some new social games include: him running to mama and saying “dada” and laughing and then running to dada and saying “mama” and laughing. He thinks it is hilarious when we copy sounds and actions that he does. He also thinks its funny when he yells “mama” and mama yells “paul” in response.
- Paul has been brushing his hair and other peoples hair as well; and when I say “brush mama’s hair” he goes to brush my hair and then tries to eat it and cracks up when I say “ew!’
- He is such a little goofball. He even cracks himself up sometimes when he accidentally does something silly. I love being Paul’s mama =D
Here is a list of some of the milestones Paul has reached this month and some special moments that I jotted down:
- Paul is able to transition into standing position from any position and walk and run around.
- He is so adventurous and climbs on anything to get to his objective.
- Paul understands everything we are saying and consistently follows demands.
- He copies actions; if i put a block on my head he will put a block on his head.
- He has been very interested in the parts of the face, and he is able to point to his and anyone elses nose when asked the appropriate demand. We are working on pointing to all of the parts of his face and mama and dada’s face when labeled.
- Paul found a toy that he used to play with, walked over to the coffee table, stuck it on, and played with it, What a great memory!
- Paul understands when we say “wait” and waits for us! and even whines and babbles at us using very adorable hand motions (mama is Italian so I wonder where he learned that from).
- He loves eating with a spoon, He practices scooping food onto the spoon and biting the food off the spoon at least once a day.
- Paul pretends to eat by pretending to pick something up, looking, at us, saying “yum” or “nom nom” and laughing.
- He is able to sit and sort shape blocks.
- He has developed an interest for cars.
- He throws a ball to mama and mama rolls it back to him.
- He makes really cute faces when things blow in his face.
- He tries to walk up steps.
- Paul whimpers like a little puppy dog when he wants his mama.
- He brushes his hair.
- He cracks up and imitates mama brushing her teeth.
- he tries to drink from adult cups.
- If I place three objects in front of him and put something under one of the objects and ask “where is the ____?” he will pick up to appropriate object to get the item.
- Paul LOVES his cats. They make him SO happy and provide so much entertainment for him. He calls all 3 cats Boo Boo because one of our cats name is Boo Boo. He even calls the cats in books Boo Boo.
- He calls all food “Nana;”his favorite food happens to be bananas.
- He LOVES taking a bath and everything about water and playing in water and with water. He will also play with the cat water.
- His favorite place in the apartment is the bathroom. He does a bathroom dance that is similar to his Nana dance.
- He is really interested in ceiling fans ;more specifically, turning the switch on and off and watching the ceiling fan turn on and off, He is very interested in the cause and effect of things.
- He claps and waves appropriately.
- He loves loves loves giving mama and dada kisses. EVERY morning, Paul wakes Matt up by giving him kisses. IT IS LITERALLY THE CUTEST THING EVER.
- He tries to type on the computer keyboard!
- He likes to pretend he is talking on the phone.
- He says “no.”
- He plays with the cats by picking up long strings or fabric and waves it in their face. It is sooooo cute!
Paul’s First Sickness and a Head Lump
A week after Paul’s birthday he started running a fever. On the first day (Wednesday), he ran a 102.7 temperature so we brought him to the doctor where he came back negative for the flu and strep throat. They told us to rotate infant motrin and infant tylenol until the fevers were completely gone. He continued to run high fevers (up to 103.8) so we brought him back to the doctors on Friday where he again tested negative for strep. This time, they needed a urine sample to rule out a urinary tract infection so we had to bring pee bags home with us. The test came out negative. They told us that if he was still running a fever on Monday that they needed to run blood work. On Saturday, Matt noticed a lump on the back of his head near his ear; which it turned out was the same lump I discovered three weeks earlier but disregarded because it was very small. When I felt it this time, it had grown noticeably larger. Matt and I returned to the doctor with Paul on Monday who had been fever free for 20 hours but developed a rash in the morning. The lump turned out to be a swollen lymph node due to his body fighting off the virus, and the rash was roseola. During this entire week, Paul nursed constantly and slept with us so he could nurse unrestricted. Doing this helped him remain hydrated and it helped him sleep. =D
Owen snuggled with Paul every night that he was sick <3
I am so happy with Paul’s sleep; the Individualized Nighttime Sleep Training Program is really working for us. He is becoming so much more independent. I am officially no longer nursing him to sleep at night time; and it has been like this every night for the last 14 days. After he is done nursing, he independently unlatches and I place him in his crib, cover him with the blanket that I have created the nursing association with and either sing to him or provide some sensory input to help him fall asleep; it depends on his needs. He will usually sleep somewhere between four to seven hours before he wakes up and nurses (he actually drinks) and when he is full he unlatches, I place him back in his crib and he falls to sleep on his own. The second time he wakes up I usually bring him in our bed and sometimes I pacify him and sometimes I do not; again it depends on his needs. He currently falls asleep in his crib by 7:30 pm and is up for the day sometime between 6:00 am and 7:00 am.
Paul is transitioning from taking two naps to taking one nap. If he takes one nap, he will usually sleep from 12:30 to 3:00 and if he takes 2 naps he will usually sleep from 9:30 to 10:30 and then again from 1:30 to 3:00. I typically nurse him to sleep for naps; and most of the time I nap with him!
Paul’s First Park Experience
We took Paul to the park to run around for the first time this month, and he absolutely loved it. He had his first encounter with the cutest, most friendliest bulldog. The dog strutted over to Paul, knocked him over, and started licking him all over the face; and Paul screamed like I have never heard. The owners were really nice and left with their dog. Paul forgot about the incident as soon as a six year old girl came to play at the park. He followed her around at a distance and every time she looked at him he would smile! It was so adorable.
Here are some pictures:
Thank you so much for reading! I hope you have a happy day! =D