Good evening and happy Friday! Paulino is 17 months today, and I am emotional as ever. He is not a baby anymore; but rather a thoughtful, loving, and happy little toddler. Here are some developmental highlights that occurred this month:
The day that Paul turned 16 months old was the day he started sleeping through the night. On the first night that this happened, I remember falling asleep at 10:30pm and waking up at 4:30am feeling refreshed for the first time in two years. Currently, Paul is falling asleep around 7pm and sleeps until 5am (which he then nurses and sleeps until he wakes up at 6am or 6:30am) OR he falls asleep at 7pm and wakes up once to nurse before 4:30 am and then sleeps until he wakes up at 6am or 6:30am. If he falls asleep at 8pm, then he will sleep through the night until he wakes up around 6am. This month, he also fell asleep for the first time ever without mama and instead while cuddling happily with dada.
- He picks old food and fuzz off the ground or on mama and says “yucky.” He loves this word and always uses it appropriately. He always throws what he picks up into the garbage.
- His three new words are yucky, boy, and die. To give you a little context on why he learned the word die: whenever I’m dehydrated or hungry, I would joke and say “if mama doesn’t drink water, I’m gonna die” and I would say it in a funny accent and he would laugh hysterically. Well he picked the word die up really quickly and uses it to make me laugh.
- He says the sound of the letter y very well in addition the the letters he learned last month.
- If Paul sees the letter B he will say it’s sound.
- Paul follows routines and completes tasks such as flushing the toilet, throwing garbage in the garbage and the recycling in the recycling, eating, drinking water, etc independently and when asked. He loves to help with chores.
- He is able to put his shoes halfway on his feet.
- He pulls his pants up and down when getting dressed.
- He plays with toys functionally independently.
- He likes to play with cars and roll one or two at a time; as well as play with his garage set.
- He loves pretending to cook!! He pretends to mix and scoop and sniff and taste and he will either say nun nun or yucky. He adds different toys in a bowl to cook with; it’s incredible.
- If he does an inappropriate behavior (like pulling hair) and you show him an appropriate behavior (petting or kissing hair) he will do the appropriate behavior.
- He claps for himself and others when a task is completed or when something nice or thoughtful is done.
- He puts items back where they belong when he is done with them or when he finds them on the floor.
- He traces shapes on pages with his finger.
- He identifies the words in a story as well as the pictures.
- He know to wash his hands at the sink after we come in from playing outside and before we eat.
- He knows to go in his chair for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- He knows how to sit on chairs.
- He covers mama up after he is done drinking milk.
- When we go outside, he picks up his shoes and tries to put them on and then he picks up mamas shoes and tries to put them on me.
- He knows the difference between sneakers, boots, and Sandals.
- When someone tells him no, he also moves his pointer finger to express the word no.
- He could tell the difference between males and females. He calls all males dada and all females mama.
- He puts items away nicely or puts them back where they belong.
- He’s starting to tell us when he needs a new diaper. If I say “did you go pee pee?” he point to the front of his diaper and if I say “did you go poo poo?”he points to the back of his diaper.
- He picks up garbage off the floor and throws it in the garbage and he picks up dirty laundry and puts it in the laundry bag.
Fine motor/gross motor
- He has been practicing rolling his wrists.
- He climbs on all furniture.
- He spins.
- Paul loves playing social games such is peek a boo, hide and seek, i’m gonna get you, tickle love, and copy/imitate.
- He loves to do things to make us laugh.
- Paul still loves to nurse, but he is definitely starting to ween himself.
Thank you for reading, I hope you have a happy Friday!
Here are some pictures: